Wednesday 18 December 2013

Breastfeeding experience and UniMom breast pump review

With my two little darlings
When I gave birth to my first child, I thought breastfeeding comes in naturally, easily and beautifully. I had images of looking at my daughter who's drinking heartily from me. Unknown to me at that time, breastfeeding is seriously 99% effort and determination. I had no milk flow for close to two weeks after birth and on top of that, having short nipples is of no help at all. Blistered nipples filled with pus, breast infection 3 times and all the horrible experiences associated with breastfeeding. At this point you might have thought I should have given up totally. Some how I didn't. I fed my daughter for nearly one and a half years and still feeding my son who is going 11 months now.

With my first child, a friend loaned me her dual pump for a year, Ameda Lactaline. It was really good. So if you have the money should really give this a go. Before I gave birth to my son, I knew I need to buy a pump but I don't want to spend so much on a pump. So I search. Google, read blog, forums, amazon reviews and friends reviews. Having used a dual pump before, there's no way I will settle for a single one. Since I fully breastfeed (yes no formula supplement) and work full time, I need to find a heavy duty pump. One that can withstand 3-4 times of pumping everyday. Somehow I discovered Unimom and decided to give it a go despite very few reviews online. On the plus side it only cost S$199 when I bought it.
My Own UniMom Forte # (See one bottle doesn't seem to contain much milk. That's because I have super short nipple of my right and my baby prefers my left. Thus more milk on the left)

Prior to Unimom Forte # I bought Unimom Forte as the newer model was not available in Singapore than. Less than one month later mothercare brought in the newer model :(. Pretty upset but I had to admit Unimom Forte was good enough. It definitely helped me through my Maternity Leave days both to establish and build up milk supply. However it was really big, heavy and noisy. After 5 good months, I bought the Unimom Forte # at S$199. I definitely prefer the improved Unimom Forte #. My colleague who sat next to me was most happy as she no longer felt like she's sitting in an ICU ward 3 times a day. Seriously despite all the good points, Unimom Forte was too noisy. Now, no one really notice when I am expressing at my desk. If you ask me how good is Unimom Forte # which now retails at S$299, I'll say as good as Ameda retail at S$399. I know this is a pretty long post, I'll definitely write another one on how I set up my desktop as pumping station. Hope my experience will help someone out there.
PS: If you ever wonder what happens to my unimom forte, I used it at home when I am on leave as my son goes to full day infant care.
Till next time.XOXO

3 comments:

  1. Hi.. Am curious as to how you set up your desktop as a pumping station.. Also, I may be getting a UniMom pump, how do I know it's the newer or older version? Any difference in their names??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Siti,
      I used daiso tier trays which are stackable and placed my document trays on top just so it's more discreet.
      If I am not wrong Unimom forte is the old one and unimon forte# is the new one. I prefer the new one as it's a closed system. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  2. Opps typo error. It's Unimom forte#

    ReplyDelete